Alyssa Benjamin is an independent brand strategist and the founder of Our Nature: a podcast that explores the methods, systems, and practices that bring us into greater alignment with the natural world.
She's keeping it real, shares some fresh ways to stay grounded on sad girl days, and is an advocate for going to the river regularly.
1. What is your life motto right now?
Keep it real. Make it fun!
2. What's your most-played song within the past week? Why?
“I Will Always Love You,” by Dolly Parton. I’ve been listening to the podcast “Dolly Parton’s America” and the story behind this song is the story of grace.
3. Your Top Three Books of All Time:
“A New Earth” Eckhart Tolle
“Slouching Towards Bethlehem” Joan Didion
“When Things Fall Apart” Pema Chodran
4. Your Approach to Health in One Sentence:
To be healthy in mind, body and spirit is to live in harmony and alignment with the natural world.
5. Your Approach to Happiness in One Sentence:
Happiness must come from within.
6. Your Approach to Dating in One Sentence:
You have to love yourself first before you have the capacity to love anyone else.
7. Funny / most cringe date:
I was on my first date with a guy I met online, and after having breakfast, he asked me if I’d like to run errands with him for work (he was a set designer). For some reason I said “ok”. I got into his white sprinter van (texted my friend “I just got into a white van with a stranger…”) and we spent the rest of the day making returns to West Elm, Bed Bath & Beyond etc. Our first kiss was in the return line at IKEA.
8. Your most used word:
9. Last screenshot:
10. What are 1-3 things you do when you feel blue to make yourself feel better? / or feel like you’re having an off day?
I go to the river near my house in Chelsea and watch the setting sun
write/cry into my journal
put on Chances With Wolves or David Bowie and have a solo dance party
11. Insert most used emoji:
12. Most inspiring quote:
“I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” - Georgia O’Keeffe
13. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
I don’t know about last thing…but last person? Nine times out of ten it’s my boyfriend David.
14. Who’s someone who you can rely on to always make you smile? Why/what do they do?
My friend Kevin’s mom Lili Hayes @lili_hayes gives recurring advice that involves telling people to “go to the river!” It kills me every. single. time.
15. Best advice you’ve ever gotten:
Comparison is the thief of joy.
16. Someone/something that changed your life (for the better):
The realization that we are nature, so to know nature is to know ourselves.
17. Most overrated advice / trend right now (in your opinion):
We can’t buy our way to saving the earth. So everything we consume, even if it’s sustainable (like reusable totes, mugs, etc.), is still trash for our planet. I’d like to see a shift away from consumption.
18. Something you feel like saying:
The most pressing issue facing our current society right now is the climate crisis. If we don’t have a place to call home, we don’t have anything.
19. Fave website / youtube video / link online at the moment:
Judy K. Young “Eight Pieces of Silk Brocade” - welcome to the best 20 minutes of your life
20. Fill in the blank: I’m happiest when I: _______________________
I’m by the sea :)
20. Tag a gem who inspires you: