Kris Mendoza is a product designer at Dropbox and photographer. (Check out some of his fire flix here.) Traveling, film photography, and Gwenyth Paltrow are a few of the highlights of this interview. As someone who's worked at Pinterest as well as Dropbox, he offers some advice on how to maintain perspective and work ethic at big name companies.
1. What is your life motto right now?
Go with the flow and mindfully accept everything <3
2. What's your most-played song within the past week? Why?
Juicy by Doja Cat, because it's a great running song and fun af
3. Top 3 books of all time:
Mindfulness by Ellen Langer (she's a queen read this)
Harry Potter series (because if I didn't say this I would be betraying my younger self)
How to Be A Badass (changed my life the first time I read it, felt cheesy when I read it later but was pretty pivotal at the moment)
4. Your approach to health in one sentence:
Laughter is the best medicine. I honestly now think that you could be doing everything "right" (eating well, exercising, etc) but if you aren't doing emotionally okay that'll be detrimental to your health no matter what.
5. Your approach to happiness in one sentence:
Do what you can but also take your meds if you're prescribed them - there's no shame in that. (Took Lexapro for the first time this year and it helped me out of a rough time.)
6. Your approach to dating/love in one sentence:
Be what you want in the other person. And be forgiving and loving bc bad energy is sad energy. (this goes for all kinds of love - friendship, fam and romantic)
7. Most cringe date:
Maybe when this kid kept name-dropping celebs - like the fact that he saw 'Adriana' (Lima) that morning at his photoshoot. (LOL, he texted me after and was like "I feel like you *didn't* have the best time but I did." Guess I'm transparent AF...)
8. Your most used word:
9. Last screenshot:
LOL, a texting convo.
10. What are 1-3 things you do when you feel blue to make yourself feel better? / or feel like you’re having an off day?
1. Go to CorePower yoga.
2. Buy sushi and white wine.
3. Call one of my pals.
11. Insert most used emoji:
12. Most inspiring quote:
Be the light. (Because I think sometimes when I get consumed in my own blueness I feel so much better helping out someone else or being their 'light.')
13. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
14. Who’s someone who you can rely on to always make you smile? Why/what do they do?
Hmm, prob a teacher at CorePower. I've literally walked into so many yoga classes on the verge of a breakdown and always feel like at least 1% better after. Each class has a theme they focus on and it's always inspiring and reminds me everyone is human.
15. Best advice you’ve ever gotten:
Strive for progress, not perfection.
16. Someone/something that changed your life (for the better):
Meeting my friends at WashU who made me a way better human and friend. They were just unlike any other people I had ever met and still remain my inspo to try and give back, have fun, and enjoy life.
17. Most overrated advice / trend right now (in your opinion):
Being pushy about your dietary preferences (eek)
18. Something you feel like saying:
Do you boo.
19. Fave website / youtube video / link online at the moment:
Pinterest because I've been working on my ~vision board~
20. Fill in the blank: I’m happiest when I: _______________________
Using design to help/inspire others. Or eating a particularly yum meal, slightly lit from wine, in a warm place.
21. Tag a gem who inspires you:
Jenna Mote. The gem of a human who was my NYC roomie.