Emily Ching is the founder of The Wrapping Project: a business that sells functional Origami pop-out boxes made from eco-conscious materials. She is also the person who is responsible for my love of margaritas, tacos, and sweet potato emojis. One of the best designers I know, she shares some real gems of wisdom.
1. What is your life motto right now?
Everything doesn’t have to be perfect. Life is a journey, not a destination. Process is where all the fun happens anyway.
2. What's your most-played song within the past week? Why?
Wrapping Paper by Cream because I’m creating a wrapping paper playlist for my project and have had it stuck in my mind for the past month! It also makes me laugh.
3. Top 3 books of all time:
Game of Thrones, the freakin' books! You gotta read the books.
Cradle to Cradle, Remaking the Way We Make Things by Michael Braungart and William McDonough. I thought I was a good human and a responsible designer and this book completely changed how I view myself and the role I need to play as a maker.
Anything by E. Nisbit - I read her books as a child and they still bring back that sense of wonder and mystery
4. Your approach to health in one sentence:
Everything in moderation.
5. Your approach to happiness in one sentence:
Get out there and find it.
6. Your approach to dating/love in one sentence:
Love yourself first.
7. Funny/most cringe date:
Um lol I need a margarita or two first…
8. Your most used word:
lol it’s prolly ‘shit’
"Everything doesn’t have to be perfect. Life is a journey, not a destination. Process is where all the fun happens anyway."
9. Last screenshot:
lol the last 10 are receipts sooo...
10. What are 1-3 things you do when you feel blue to make yourself feel better? / or feel like you’re having an off day?
Most often I feel blue when I’m not getting enough me time - so just chilling by myself away from people and doing something that I love. Wearing big fuck off sunglasses, Taking my dog for a walk in the park, or tending to my veggie garden.
11. Insert most used emoji:
12. Most inspiring quote:
Oh girl I have so many!
"Gather and exclude with purpose." - Priya Parker
"Never take silence as a no." - Beth Wilkinson
"It’s not the quantity that matters but the quality." - Susan Scherrman
13. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
Preparing videos for Chingfling using snapchat filters.
14. Who’s someone who you can rely on to always make you smile? Why/what do they do?
Rou my puggle cause she is always by my side, lazy af and her face is perpetually grumpy.
15. Best advice you’ve ever gotten:
A yoga teacher once told me… Be present, you don’t have to add or subtract to the situation. This blew my mind and made me pause. As a designer, I am constantly critiquing and tweaking which can be exhausting. I haven’t ever heard of ‘being present’ framed that way and it stuck with me.
16. Someone/something that changed your life (for the better):
Taking a laser cutting class at Metrix Create Space a few years ago. It started me down my path of becoming a maker. Now I am laser certified and just launched my business, The Wrapping Project!
17. Most overrated advice / trend right now (in your opinion):
‘everything just fell into place’ or ‘it happened naturally’ or ‘you’re just naturally talented’
No it didn’t! I worked hard to be where I am and gain the experiences I have. Through all the problems and roadblocks, I’ve spent the time and I have the perseverance to see it through.
18. Something you feel like saying:
I’m starting to learn the importance of forcing functions - Sign up for that class, give that speech, dive in and swim with sharks. Do that thing first and then go from there.
19. Fave website / youtube video / link online at the moment:
lololol but seriously they have all the industrial storage things a girl could want and it ships in 1 business day.
20. Fill in the blank: I’m happiest when I: _______________________
don’t have any obligations.
21. Tag a gem who inspires you:
Stephanie Hughes and Brenna Marketello!