Jozef Bañuelos is *the one and only* Product Designer at Lingo — the visual home for your brand. He's an insanely talented designer, a Pisces sun (!!), and the king of sarcasm. From motivational alarms to his opinion on the hustle culture, Jozef is letting us IN and we're here for it.
1. What is your life motto right now?
Be kind, be open and share some joy.
2. What's your most-played song within the past week? Why?
I feel like this might be a tie between This Must Be The Place by Talking Heads and Time (You and I) by Khruangbin. Probably because both have an upbeat, lighthearted feel to them. The kind that makes you bob your head, dance in your seat and sing along! They’re also upbeat in their lyrics, one being a love song and the other about enjoying life.
3. Your Top Three Books of All Time:
Oh man, this is a tough one! Do series count? Haha, it’s hard to narrow this down to 3 but I’ll try.
1. A Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson & Robert Jordan
2. Zen Pencils by Gavin Aung Than
3. Logo Design Love by David Airey
Logo Design Love taught me a lot about Design as a craft actually, not just about logos!
4. Your Approach to Health in One Sentence:
Everything in moderation, but it’s okay to indulge once in a while.
Disclaimer: Indulging once in a while does not mean shotgunning sushi rolls into my mouth over an entire weekend!
5. Your Approach to Happiness in One Sentence:
Make someone smile or laugh, and you will too.
6. Your Approach to Dating in One Sentence:
Communication and empathy go a long way in making a strong connection with someone.
7. Funny / most cringe date:
This is a bit cringe on my part but I was much younger in my defense! Anyway, I had just started dating someone, I think it was our 2nd or 3rd date. I wanted to show her a movie I had already seen and it was playing in a theater that showed older movies. So we went, and it was literally just the 2 of us in the theater. I was pretty nervous and due to those nerves I ended up talking the whole time…about the movie. Luckily that didn’t end up being a deal-breaker!
8. Your most used word:
I’m pretty sure it’s “Yeah”. I think I start most of my sentences with it, it’s just a habit haha.
9. Last screenshot:
I always accidentally take a screenshot when I try to lock my phone!
...yes I have motivational notes for my alarms.
10. What are 1-3 things you do when you feel blue to make yourself feel better? / or feel like you’re having an off day?
- I’d definitely play a game. Some times it’s a mindless game in which I can turn my brain off or it’s a game with a deep story!
- Or I would watch a favorite show or movie. Nostalgia can be very therapeutic haha.
- I would also cook something. Making a meal is pretty relaxing too. Honestly, I’d most likely do all 3!
11. Insert most used emoji:
Hands are cool
12. Most inspiring quote:
Ooh, this is another tough one. There’s plenty of inspiring quotes to choose from, but I think this one resonates with me the most:
"Kindness’ covers all of my political beliefs. No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.” - Roger Ebert
Lil’ tidbit: This quote was also turned into a mini-comic in the Zen Pencils book I listed earlier.
13. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
An episode of The Office. Man, I’ll never get tired of that show.
14. Who’s someone who you can rely on to always make you smile? Why/what do they do?
Hmm, probably my 2 cousins. I’m pretty close to them and they never fail to make me laugh. We play games together, and before the pandemic hit we would go out together on the weekends. It’s just a good time with them!
15. Best advice you’ve ever gotten:
“You can’t live your life for other people"
I feel like the context it was said in is important but this doesn’t necessarily mean to not care for others. It just means you can’t always put others before yourself, especially if you want to help others. You need to be able to help yourself first.
16. Someone/something that changed your life (for the better):
My ex actually. We ended on good terms, so there’s no bad blood there. But that relationship, and her, are a big part of who I am today. I learned and grew so much as a person!
17. Most overrated advice / trend right now (in your opinion):
Hustle culture or the “Just hustle and you’ll succeed” mentality. That’s not to say having side hustles are a bad thing, or that people shouldn’t pursue a side hustle or any hustle. I just think that there are extremes to it that should be avoided. You can burn yourself out very quickly if you hustle too much because you feel like you have to. And I definitely feel like there is a mindset of “if you’re not hustling you’re not succeeding” around it which is a reductive way to look at it. Especially because success is relative to the individual, we all have our own definitions of success.
Anyway, I just think people should do what makes them happy without feeling like they’re not doing enough. Also, this is just my perspective and I would never try to impose it on anyone else.
18. Something you feel like saying:
Vanilla ice cream is great, but the different types of vanilla ice cream have different use cases. Plain vanilla is best for mixing with other ice cream like chocolate or strawberry. Vanilla bean ice cream is good on its’ own, or with strawberry to get that strawberry shortcake flavor. French vanilla is the best on its own or paired with apple pie.
…I want some apple pie now.
19. Fave website / youtube video / link online at the moment:
Reddit & Twitter are probably my most used right now. It’s a mix between entertainment, news and learning. I also follow a lot of artists, designers and art/design subreddits. Also, I recently fell down a rabbit hole of this guys YouTube channel also, it’s amazing: https://www.youtube.com/user/marcrebillet
20. Fill in the blank: I’m happiest when I: _______________________
...am spending time with people I love.
20. Tag a gem who inspires you:
@sharifmatar on twitter! He was my design instructor once and now a friend. Great designer, great dude!