Meaghan Davis works in Strategy & Operations at DoorDash. I first met her at a house Halloween party in Seattle where we were among the minority who were less than into drinking "protein" margs (felt slightly questionable...) She's one of the kindest gems I know, wicked smart, and always down for a good time. Biz school is her next move - watch her become the CEO of something rad in no time.
1. What is your life motto right now?
“Great things never come from comfort zones” – Anonymous
2. What's your most-played song within the past week? Why?
In the bones by Maren Morris. Super catchy and the lyrics really resonate with me.
3. Top 3 books of all time:
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs
Flash Boys by Michael Lewis
4. Your approach to health in one sentence:
We spend so much of our lives doing things for other people, yet we forget that we need to do things for ourselves as well.
5. Your approach to happiness in one sentence:
Emotions are natural; don’t put pressure on yourself to be happy every second of every day.
6. Your approach to dating/love in one sentence:
You probably don’t even know what you want (I didn’t).
7. Most cringe date:
I’ve only been on one official “date” (with my boyfriend, Spencer). I told him that I would meet him for one (and only one) drink at happy hour, but I had cold feet, so I kept pushing the time back. One drink at happy hour turned into 5 drinks at 9pm. We’ve been dating for almost 3 years.
8. Your most used word:
Either “absurd” or “wild” because my friends and family say some wild things.
9. Last screenshot:
I thought this was funny – my mom posted a picture of a large dinner table and captioned it “Who would you invite to this meal?”. My dad tagged me and my brothers as well as my boyfriend, who he doesn’t have on Facebook, so he just typed his name.
10. What are 1-3 things you do when you feel blue to make yourself feel better? / or feel like you’re having an off day?
Venting!!! I feel so much better being able to talk about the thing that is frustrating me. My friends are so supportive; I know that I can call them at any hour of the day and they will listen to me complain. Usually that’s all I need.
11. Insert most used emoji:
(Rolling eyes close second.)
12. Most inspiring quote:
So hard to choose! I like this one from Maya Angelou: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
13. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
Probably a meme on Instagram. My friends and I send them back and forth. They’re usually about how we have no idea what we are doing with our lives #thriving.
14. Who’s someone who you can rely on to always make you smile? Why/what do they do?
My boyfriend Spencer has an uncanny ability to make me smile, even when I’m in a bad mood. He’ll say ridiculous things to get me roll my eyes or laugh (either with him or at him).
15. Best advice you’ve ever gotten:
I was struggling with a career change because I wasn’t sure if it would limit my options in the future. A former manager explained to me that making a decision/taking a risk doesn’t close your “doors”, it opens new ones that you haven’t even imagined yet. I try not to think about making choices as limiting options, but as expanding them.
16. Someone/something that changed your life (for the better):
Moving across the country to Seattle after graduating school was the hardest/best thing I’ve ever done for myself. I was absolutely miserable for the first 6 months. My friends were all together in New York and I was so lonely. After I stopped comparing my experience to theirs, I learned how to be independent for the first time in my life. I made really close friends (like Clio!) and started to love Seattle. And now I miss it!! Give yourself a chance to warm up to new experiences. Not everything is going to feel perfect from the beginning.
17. Most overrated advice / trend right now (in your opinion):
1. Trend: I don’t understand people’s fascination with eyebrows. “Brows on fleek” – what does that mean??
2. Advice: “Good things come to those that wait” – I’ve learned that success comes with a lot of hustle. Go out there and make things happen for yourself.
18. Something you feel like saying:
Don’t compare yourself to others. I promise you that no one is as perfect/ “figured-out” as they look on social media.
19. Fave website / youtube video / link online at the moment:
I’m currently planning a trip to Thailand, so I have been loving all of the travel blogs! I’m so inspired by people who are able to quit their day-jobs to follow their passions.
20. Fill in the blank: I’m happiest when I: _______________________
I’m traveling! I love the excitement of being in a new city with new energy.
21. Tag a gem who inspires you: