Rachel Hoversland is the hostess with the mostess. She's a PM at Nordstrom, famous for her Friendsgiving feasts, and truly a beam of freaking light. She moved from Casper, Wyoming to Seattle, Washington a few years ago and built a community from the ground up.
Find a friend in Rachel and don't let go because she's gem.
1. What is your life motto right now?
My current mantra/motto is inspired by the National (and my friend Lauren) and it’s “I am good, I am grounded.”
2. What's your most-played song within the past week? Why?
1999 - Hovvdy (pronounced ‘howdy’ ). They played a small show in Seattle recently and it was so. good. I haven’t stopped listening since.
3. Your Top Three Books of All Time:
Three of my favorite fiction books:
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
4. Your Approach to Health in One Sentence:
Move your body when and how it feels right.
5. Your Approach to Happiness in One Sentence:
it’s ok if happiness is not the baseline of your life
6. Your Approach to Dating in One Sentence:
download an app, swipe, go on a date, be reminded why you deleted app in first place, delete said app.
7. Funny / most cringe date:
Ran into two other friends at the bar where I was meeting my date (they were both on dates too!)
8. Your most used word:
I overuse ‘incredible’
9. Last screenshot:
I’ve been prepping for friendsgiving and need to figure out how the hell to handle a turkey. HELP
10. What are 1-3 things you do when you feel blue to make yourself feel better? / or feel like you’re having an off day?
Journal it out
Drink some peppermint tea
Get moving (usually lifting or a run does the trick)
11. Insert most used emoji:
12. Most inspiring quote:
Right now, it’s this reminder from Mary Oliver:
‘There are moments that cry out to be fulfilled.
Like, telling someone you love them.
Or giving your money away, all of it.
Your heart is beating, isn’t it?
You’re not in chains, are you?
There is nothing more pathetic than caution
when headlong might save a life,
even, possibly, your own.’
13. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
14. Who’s someone who you can rely on to always make you smile? Why/what do they do?
My friend Martha is a beam of sunshine. She leans into the messiness of the world and always comes out of it ready for a dance party.
15. Best advice you’ve ever gotten:
A repeated reminder that I am the owner of my choices and direction (a freeing thing for someone who relies maybe a little too much on external validation)
16. Someone/something that changed your life (for the better):
moving to a new place where I was forced to build a community from scratch
17. Most overrated advice / trend right now (in your opinion):
Hot take very much not a fan of all of these reboots/remakes happening. Leave the past in the past! Watch old episodes or the original movie! (I’ll make an exception for Lizzie McGuire and Lizzie McGuire alone)
18. Something you feel like saying:
you are not a reflection of people who can’t love you (just saw this on someone’s insta story and thought it was a nice lil reminder).
19. Fave website / youtube video / link online at the moment:
In preparation for hosting a poetry night, I came across the Paris Review’s Poetry Rx, which feels like a better version of an advice column, because they prescribe poems for the various ailments of life
20. Fill in the blank: I’m happiest when I: _______________________
listen to my body; am surrounded by people I love; in a cabin in the mountains
20. Tag a gem who inspires you: